Saturday, November 13, 2010

Bird Chili

One of the girls I worked with made this for a chili cook-off and I LOVED it! I asked for the recipe which I got today and had to make this immediately- luckily, I had all the ingredients on hand. I would have tried this in my crock pot- but I really really wanted to make it now- it was super spicy!


1 chicken breast
3 c. chicken broth
3 tbsp. ground cumin
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. red pepper
lots of garlic!
2 (15.5 oz) cans great Northern beans; drained and rinsed
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chile peppers
2 1/2 c. water
1 1/2 c. long grain rice- not instant
1 c. sour cream
1 c. shredded Monterey cheese

Cook chicken breast in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, red pepper, and garlic. I cube the chicken as it cooks.

When the chicken is no longer pink- add the beans, green chile peppers, water, and rice. Turn heat to high until it comes to a boil. Turn to low and cover. Simmer 20-25 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Add the sour cream and stir. Keep on low and simmer 5 minutes.

Serve with cheese sprinkled on top.
Serves 6


1 comment: