Saturday, November 20, 2010

Almond Cake

I hosted Bunco this month and wanted to have LOTS of SUGAR!!! I had my cousin, McKinna make her famous cupcakes and chocolate covered pretzels. I made some sugar cookies and my almond cake.



I threw this picture in- before pouring the batter into the cookie sheet- it needs to be greased with shortening and flour. I did the flour part outside to avoid the mess!


Almond cake out the oven!



Lots of frosting- I did orange for my autumn theme. It doesn't need to be frosted to the edges- I cut away from that so it's nice and even. (My boys get the edges!)



Cut into finger sized pieces.



Ingredients:

2 c. sugar
3/4 c. real butter
1/2 c. shortening
3/4 c. milk
4 eggs
2 1/4 c. flour
2 tsp. almond extract

In a mixer, cream the sugar, butter, and shortening. Add the eggs, milk, and almond extract and mix well. Slowly add the flour 1 cup at a time until well blended. Pour into greased and floured pan. Bake 20-30 minutes; until the edges are brown; at 350.

Cool completely.

Frosting:

3/4 c. real butter; softened
1-2 tbsp. milk
3 c. powder sugar- or more
1 tsp. almond extract
food coloring

In a mixer, add the butter, milk,and almond extract. Add the powder sugar 1/2 cup at a time until it is the consistency you want. Add food coloring for color and frost cake.
Serves: 20-25

2 comments:

  1. do you do room temperature butter or melted? i never get frosting right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that- thanx Kelli!!!

    I soften it in the microwave for 30 seconds or so. This frosting it THICK!

    ReplyDelete